Tuesday, March 2, 2010

beans, beans, the wonderful fruit

A new goal of mine is to have less processed, more healthy, homecooked-from-scratch meals. Somehow, our family has gotten off track (of course I know the reason why, but that is a story in and of its own) with healthy meals.

{ click on title of post to make the jump }
I have put much effort into my meal planning for month #1 of our meal-makeover. The meals will also require more effort in preparation, so the warning given to all members of my household is, and it will stand:

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE OR BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER TASTED IT IN THE PAST, DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO NOT EAT IT OR TELL ME YOU DO NOT LIKE IT.

In our home, the age-old problem exists... it is very difficult for me to encourage my children to eat certain foods or meals when their father refuses to do so. With all due respect to my in-laws, my husband grew up not eating many foods because there was a stigma attached to them (i.e. vegetables are healthy, therefore, they taste disgusting).

The Mister has also been warned:

JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU WERE FIVE YEARS OLD DOESN'T MEAN YOU WON'T LIKE IT NOW (regardless of how much your family ridicules you).

My boys love lima beans. They love them "my" way - virtually naked - and they love them Grandma Lulu's way, wearing a coat of bacon grease. To treat my boys, last week, one of our dinners included lima beans.

Need I say more? Okay, I must.

FIFTEEN YEARS WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE HAS EVER TRIED THE TRUSTY LIMA.


If you see him, you must extend your congratulations! And don't tell him that the meatloaf he will be eating tonight includes chopped celery.

3 comments:

  1. Gross... lima beans are gross

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lima beans and don't get them often because my boys refuse to eat them.
    You might want to check out the book The Daily Bean - it has great recipes all made with beans - the cookies and muffins are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lima beans and don't get them often because my boys refuse to eat them.
    You might want to check out the book The Daily Bean - it has great recipes all made with beans - the cookies and muffins are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete