Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Life Long Friends

I went to my 20-year high school reunion this weekend. I haven't stopped thinking about it and them since Friday night when the classmates started rolling in. And, so I must post. What I should post, I don't know, exactly. So bear with me... 'random' may be the theme of the post.



I do have to admit that part of me was not looking forward to the weekend. I kind of thought that with the Facebook craze, it would be very anti-climatic and we would be all caught up... electronically... and what would I have in common with my class, after all of these years? Boy, was I wrong!

So, randomly, here are my observations... and those of you dreading your upcoming reunions, take note and just GO!

For those of you at my reunion, remember this is my blog... hence, my thoughts and nothing I say is to offend. { see, isn't that queer that because I was with those from my high school life, I must think like a high schooler? }

I love that my husband was able to connect with many of my classmates... 'cuz that is what adults do. I actually think he may have had more fun than me. Nah... impossible. But, he did have a great time. Bald cornhole champions, after all.



I don't recall the "girls" in my class looking so great at our 10-year reunion. A.MA.ZING. Everyone looked awesome, but especially the ladies. To hell with our twenties, and hello thirties... well, { almost } to hell with our thirties and hello to our forties! The girls in our class just seemed happy and content. I know that some or many may not be, but you get my gist. Maybe it is true that your thirties are the best. Have you ever seen more beautiful women???


It was awesome that, in simple conversation throughout the weekend, we felt comfortable sharing our successes and downfalls in life. Funny how you have SO much more in common as adults than you did as teenagers. I could see me being life long friends with some of these peeps I haven't had the opportunity to hang with in a very long time.

I don't think I saw one instance of classmates sharing their child(ren)'s photos. Funny, because that was a bigpart of the 10-year reunion. I think at this point of our lives, we all realize that kids are cute, some look like us, some don't, and yep, many of us have them. Those that don't, really don't want to see ours. I get it. { It's funny because on our way out the door to the reunion, I made Matt take a picture of our kids on his phone... just in case... }

I loved talking to the "boys" from our class. It is so like-totally-cool to talk to someone without thinking they are a boy. And, they are all grown up! And can carry on a conversation! For the most part, they could do it without any insults. It was great!



The sweetest thing I heard all night... Stacy (middle) is pregnant, and Jarad (right) said to her, "You can tell by the look on your face that you are so excited." Oh Jarad, you have grown up into quite the man... which I have never doubted... it is just one of those instances where 20 years has passed... and, well, you know... you aren't eighteen anymore... and your observation of the joy on Stacy's face showed it.




Some of us just have not changed, and that is definitely an indifferent statement. Not good. Not bad. Just interesting. Makes you wonder if one really hasn't changed or was just playing the part so not to disappoint.  I actually would have loved the presence of our children at the reunion... I think it would have been interesting to see the dynamics.

Teenagers are just whack. For those of you raising or beginning to raise them, trust me, this, too, shall pass.


I love that in the class picture from the night (the first one posted above), we are all in such close proximity to one another. I have seen alot of class pictures from other reunions, and I think ours is actually unique in that regard.We are like touching.


With all of that said, I had such a good time with old friends... and I so wish that we were all closer, goegraphically, but, I guess that would take the fun out of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment