Monday, July 25, 2011

We are in "ONE Week" | #ONEMoms

"ONE Week" is a weeklong social media event following 10 bloggers making their way through Kenya with ONE from July 25th-30th to see what life is really like for moms in the developing world.


While in Kenya, the 10 bloggers have been and will continue to check in regularly with accounts of what they're seeing and hearing, as well as daily actions tied to their trips and access to experts who can explain the key issues these women bloggers are seeing firsthand.

This past week on NPR, I heard a report about the [at the time] near famine in the horn of Africa, which includes Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Djibouti. ONE.org confirmed for me that on July 20, 2011, a famine was, in fact, declared in two parts of Somalia after the worst drought in over 60 years. The horn has not seen rain in several seasons, and the drought is raising food prices, causes migration of tens of thousands (up to a hundred miles), and killing livestock at drastic rates. Mix the conflict in Somalia into that, and it is now a humanitarian crisis. Tens of thousands have already died.

Tens of thousands have already died. Yet, I have heard at least 100 times more about the recent NFL lockout than I have about the current crisis in Africa. That is whack. The media should be ashamed. And, so I am. Why have we become so complacent?

So, join me in getting educated, engaged, and activated (check this out!) and use your voice on behalf of the world's poorest, which includes our sisters, the mothers of Africa.  

It just takes ONE mom.

Follow ONEMoms on Twitter {at} #ONEMoms

- - -

These are some of my favorite song lyrics from the song Hosanna by Hillsong. I find them appropriate to close this post tonight.
Heal my heart and make it clean . Open up my eyes to the things unseen. Show me how to love like you have loved me.

Everything I am for your kingdom's cause. As I walk from earth into eternity.
- - -

PS: This is post #500 for {the white words}! Woo-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment