Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 Days of Truth - Challenge Accepted

What am I getting myself into?!?

Lately, I have been thinking much about how we try to project our identity, thanks to Don Miller and some others in my life. We, you and I, try to project the image of being a "good" Christian, an even-keeled spouse, a devoted parent, a caring friend, a successful businessman, a tolerant human being, the perfect multi-tasker... the list could go on and on.

We all do it. Unfortunately, at one point or another, we are all just posers. It hits me right in the gut every time I think of how hard we, you and I, try to be someone or something we really, truly aren't. And for what? For the benefit of others. For the acceptance of others. For the adoration of others. So we won't have to own up to the fact that we are 99.9% imperfect.  So we won't be judged.

I despise the fact that we judge each other.  I hate that I do it to you and everyone around you.  I hate that you do it to me... my husband... my kids... public schools... private schools... country club goers... our politicians... those who make minimum wage... those that buy designer clothes... celebrities... okay, I have to stop now... but you get my point... the list could go on and on. As you read this, you are judging me... and as I type this, I am judging you.

In case you didn't click on the link to Don Miller's blog, here is what I believe is the most powerful paragraph of his post:

" What’s sad about projecting an identity is our obsession with the process keeps us from discovering who we really are. We like certain things because we will be approved of if we do, not because something about how we were created responds to them. Who knows who I am, what I like, what moves me, because I have been too busy kissing up to ask myself those questions. Because I am busy projecting an identity, I am less moved by the beauty of a tree than I am by the latest fad of which I can associate my identity. If I were really cool, as we commonly define cool (a projection that we don’t care what other people think) I’d go about my day in coaches shorts I bought at Target, socks that don’t match, the most comfortable nurses shoes I could afford, and stand in parks laughing at how funny squirrels look when they crack nuts. Now that is freedom, both for our souls and for our family jewels, which are far more comfortable in coaches shorts. "

Today, I was perusing blogs like any typical day at the office, and ran across this very popular "assignment" in bloggeritaville. It is called 30 Days of Truth, and I found it at Live Beautiful.  Essentially, Courtney, the blogger, challenged others (along with herself) to write according to the topics below.

Day 1: Something you hate about yourself.
Day 2: Something you love about yourself.
Day 3: Something you have to forgive yourself for.
Day 4: Something you have to forgive someone for.
Day 5: Something you hope to do in your life.
Day 6: Something you hope you never have to do.
Day 7: Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Day 8: Someone who made your life hell, or treated you like sh*t.
Day 9: Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.
Day 10: Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.
Day 11: Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12: Something you never get compliments on.
Day 13: A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)
Day 14: A hero that has let you down. (letter)
Day 15: Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.
Day 16: Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Day 17: A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.
Day 18: Your views on gay marriage.
Day 19: What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?
Day 20: Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Day 21: (scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?
Day 22: Something you wish you hadn’t done in your life.
Day 23: Something you wish you had done in your life.
Day 24: Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)
Day 25: The reason you believe you’re still alive today.
Day 26: Have you ever thought about giving up on life? If so, when and why?
Day 27: What’s the best thing going for you right now?
Day 28: What if you were pregnant or got someone pregnant, what would you do?
Day 29: Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.
Day 30: A letter to yourself: tell yourself EVERYTHING you love about yourself.

There are two reasons I was drawn to this idea. First, because sometimes it is difficult to be creative in your thinking while blogging, and essentially, your mind goes blank for days on end, and you have nothing to blog about. This is the perfect idea generator. Second, because as Don Miller stated, "Who knows who I am, what I like, what moves me, because I have been too busy kissing up to ask myself those questions."

I don't think these questions will necessarily 'define me', but they are great topics and will allow some blogger transparency... don't you think? They will expose much about me... and in these posts, I will try very hard to just be who I am.

And dang! Don't I wish these were not the questions that Courtney has put out there to be asking?! But she did, and I will answer them. Probably not in order. And definitely not in 30 consecutive days. I will likely make up my own rules as I go along. My blog. My rules.

Not sure when I will start since vacation is looming (2 days for those of you that are keeping track), but it will be soon. There is a new tab above, too. So you can go right to the nitty-gritty details if you so choose.

Wish me luck! I am soooooo gonna need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment