Friday, April 8, 2011

The story of Isaac

Nine years ago today, I was on my way to work, nine+ months pregnant.

While I already gave birth to Audrey three years earlier, I didn't know what it felt like to 'go into' labor because she had been induced and I was perfectly medicated.

So there I am, driving 45 minutes into work, and I had to call my older sister to ask what the inital pangs of labor felt like. Needless to say, I had to turn around and head the 45 minutes back home because we were pretty sure it was the real deal.

And then, I sat. And sat. And slept. Watched some TV. Showered. Played with Audrey. Rinse and repeat for about 12 more hours.

At about 10 o'clock that evening, I called my doctor. He told me if I could talk during a contraction without crying, don't bother heading to the hospital. That just pissed me off after sitting there waiting for so long in pain, that during the next contraction, I cried while talking. By this time, my Mom was at our house, and she cried, too.

(I would give anything to see a man in labor. Anything.)

To the hospital we went. I was so mean on the way, screaming at Matt to stop hitting the bumps in the road. I do believe I possessed the strength to kill anyone and anything in those minutes. Ugh. It was awful.

Zoom ahead to about 4:30am on April 9, 2002, and I was sleeping, contracting, sleeping, contracting.

Here is where I should tell you that at my last appointment with my OB/Gyn, I had suggested that maybe Isaac was a tad large. Nah, my doctor said... if I had to guess, he will be about 6 lbs. 15 ounces.

5am comes around, and the monitor was flat-lining quite often, but I would just reposition and all would stabilize. And, then, all hell broke loose.

A team of clinicians ran in, Matt passed out and had to be tended to, oxygen was put on me... baby was a crownin', heart rate was a droppin', and they were going to suck Isaac out. And, they eventually did when the nurse figured out how to get the sucker thing on... yet, she didn't know how to turn it off... and the doctor had to end up cutting the tube with the scissors from the episiotomy. Fun times while giving birth.

But, I had my baby boy, Isaac, who weighed 9 pounds, 3 ounces. 6 lbs. 15 ounces my butt!

Happy birthday { tomorrow } bud!  We love you and are so proud of you!

He still sleeps like this.



They don't call him 'Casper' for nothin'!



Can you spot the trusty Barbie to the left of the picture?










No comments:

Post a Comment