Monday, June 13, 2011

Today, I had free range kids

I have officially become the biggest summertime bum. At this moment, I am vaguely aware that it is Monday; however, I have no clue as to the date. I don't need to know that until I head into the office tomorrow, where I will only need to know the date for approximately seven hours.

Today was another day of hoping THE plan for my summer days would happen as scheduled. It did not.

No early morning dog walk. No sleeping kids. No pool. No pool. But, today was another great day.

A perfect summer day. Perfect in that it was the kind that I reminisce about.

The boys and I ran some errands, went to the park, ate lunch, and... they were off!

Gone.

They came, they went. In and out of our house. In and out of other's houses. To the neighborhood park. To the 'real' park. Sometimes alone. Other times not. Most of the time on bikes (gasp! without helmets).

It is now 8:30pm as I am typing this, and Isaac is just coming home to eat dinner, one that is about 3 food groups away from being considered 'well-rounded'.

At some point in the 6 o'clock hour, Isaac ran in and asked if he could go somewhere else from where he just came from in the neighborhood. He was having a blast, and I didn't want to ruin the momentum, so I approved, even though he had been playing since 1:00pm. I told him to be home by 7:00pm.

At 7:00pm, he called, still not hungry, (yeah right!), so I told him to be home at 8:00pm.

At 7:45pm, he called and asked if he could just stay in the kickball game until everyone else went home.

At 8:15pm, he called and asked if he could go to Max's house just until... until whenever.

But, he is now home. Safe. After running 'free' all day long with his friends and neighbors. Creating awesome memories in his little child size brain.

When I think it couldn't get any better, Ian brought this home. Who knew they still made this stuff?


I am pretty confident that this will not lead to dippin'... you know, tobacco chewing... but if it does, it does.

For more information on being a Free-Ranger, click here. You should subscribe. Having some solid facts is way better than watching the scary nightly news.

fyi, I don't really call myself a Free Ranger with Free Range Kids, but today, I was one. If you follow my blog at all, you know that I am not what you would call laid back. Today though, there was nothing in my gut or my head telling me not to be. So, I went with it. And, it felt good. My children are not going to spontaneously combust if I am not with them every second and if they are allowed to just be kids. It is true. I saw it today.

Now, I am going go have me a good chew. Until next time, mwah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment