Wednesday, January 27, 2010

hump day nonsense


I am watching this on eBay in hopes that the use of it will curb by knee pain from inactivity during the day while at my desk. { Reason #653 why I should stop working out of the home. }  This would be a mini-exercise-bike. I had seen one years ago at a client's office, back when I was young and spry. Laughed at the "old lady" that was using it. Last year at this time, we were getting ready to begin our P90X routine. The thought of even considering that again makes me sweat and tremble in muscle soreness.


In just a short 278 days, this is what I will be doing, along with Colleen, Wayne and Matt in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. I hope to run into many barracudas, as they truly are my favorite of the deep sea. I joke. I am petrified of them.

In anticipation of this big 15 year anniversary trip (for both of us couples, thank you), I am beginning my detoxification. No alcohol (occassionally has been approved by myself). No alcohol also means no late night (8:30pm is considered my late night) popcorn. They go together. Can't have one without the other at 8:30pm at night. I know this because I have tested it many, many, many times. Last night, instead of my bala de plata, I had a hot cup of tea, detoxifying, of course.

While I drank my tea last night, as a family, we watched American Idol. Not digging the spin this year. They are showing way too many bad contestants. Show us the good stuff! That is why we are watching, y'all. However, last night I loooovvvvvveeeeedddd Katy Perry. I never did up until last night, likely because Matt and Isaac oggle over her. Now I know why! She is gorgeous and very funny.

Last night, I also started reading Eat Love Pray by Elizabeth Gilbert. I was hooked from the minute I picked it up.



The best synopsis I could find of this book (and the reason I feel connected to her journey of self-discovery) is this: "Eat, Pray, Love is about what can happen when you claim responsibility for your own contentment and stop trying to live in imitation of society’s ideals."  One of my goals this year is to live MY life, without feeling like I am watching it from someone else's perspective... or "living in imitation of society's ideals." 

Gilbert, while writing about her time in Italy and its stark contrasts from America, wrote this:
"....Americans have an inability to relax into sheer pleasure.Ours is an entertainment seeking-nation, but not necessarily a pleasure-seeking one....This is the cause of that great sad American stereotype-the overstressed executive who goes on vacation, but who cannot relax."
We have to figure out what it is that gives us pleasure before we can experience it. { Insert some sexual comment here.}

I don't have the book with me as I type this, but I could go on and on with quotes that gave me pause to reflect on my own life. I cannot wait to pick it back up tonight!







No comments:

Post a Comment