Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Douche is the word of the day

Douche is the word of the day. If you don't like that word, you may want to look away. Seriously.

You have all heard it or read it... Lebron James' statement(s) after the Miami Heat's loss to the Dallas Mavericks:


"All the people that were rooting on me to fail, at the end of the day, they have to wake up tomorrow and have the same life that they had before they woke up today. They have the same personal problems they had today. I'm going to continue to live the way I want to live and continue to do the things that I want to do with me and my family and be happy with that. They can get a few days or a few months or whatever the case may be on being happy about not only myself, but the Miami Heat not accomplishing their goal. But they have to get back to the real world at some point."
To be completely honest, and if you know me AT ALL, you know this to be true. I could really care less about sports, Lebron, the Cavs, the Mavs or the Miami Heat.

I do care about someone - anyone - trying to be something they really aren't, especially when they are a self-proclaimed role model or in the position of being a role model for our youth.

So yes, in this case, I am talking about Lebron.

But, it is a good lesson to be learned by all of us. Me included. We can all be douchebags, can't we?

With respect to the quote from Lebron above, I don't think he was reminding us about the hum-drum lives we live, as compared with his superstar life. From the moment I first heard it come out of his mouth, I didn't think that was what he was going for.

(I think that is what the media was going for because it gave more color to his statements.)

Instead, I think he was trying to tell all of his haters and critics that we are just projecting all of the BS we have in our lives on to him. We have sucky lives, or so he thinks, or thinks we think, and because of that, we like to rip on him, because that makes us feel better about ourselves.

That is possible --- that we are projecting, because we do it all of the time --- or it is possible that we are so tired of Lebron trying to be something he isn't --- superhuman or "The King" or someone worthy of 5, 6, 7 or 8 NBA championships --- that really, it is making us ill to the point of complete and total hatred toward him?

Not for a minute do I think he is stupid enough - while it is totally possibly - to try to [not so eloquently state] that our lives suck, and on the flip, his does not. (Dude, your life totally had to suck yesterday.)

Whatever Lebron. The Greater Man upstairs knows when it is your time... and um, whatever. Another stupid statement. The Greater Man also knows when I will win the lottery. And, that could also be never. (Just. Shut. Up. Already.)

Arrogrance, a lack of humility and self-professed superiority is so unbecoming. I don't care if you are Lebron James or my next door neighbor.

So, a few things to be learned from the Lebron Debacle, Part 2:

First of all, if you have been a douche, through words, because of your words, or because of your actions (Lebron, you hit a triple on this one) don't make it someone else's fault. Man up and own it. And, then just shut the heck up. Spin rarely works.

Next, don't try to be something you are not or may never be. Humble yourself and leave the arrogance behind, because in the end, you will just come out as the douche. I may have said this once already, but spin rarely works. You ain't all you think you are, even if you are Lebron James, and there is a world out there to remind you of that.

And finally... for those of us that like to pretend that Lebron's antics are a rare form of douchbaggery, let's be willing to admit that we have all fallen into the same trap as he has. Maybe not to the same degree, in the international spotlight, but we all do and say things we regret ... and, more often than we would like to admit, our words and actions come back to bite us in the ass.

We all can learn from Lebron and the douchy-ness. Can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment