Thursday, February 16, 2012

Modern day witch hunt?

The other day at our Valentine's Day dinner, Matt asked me what I thought about gay marriage.  Pretty deep for a Valentine's discussion.

I won't bore you with a long drawn out explanation of my opinion(s) on the subject, because they don't really matter.  Nope, they don't, regardless of how I or you would choose to label them. (Maybe I will post about my rationale for this at some other time.)

But I will say that, personally, I don't want to live in a world where any person is treated as a second class citizen based on their race, gender, sexuality, spiritual beliefs, etc. 

So did you hear this week or last about the group called One Million Moms, which is an arm of the American Family Association? They are a group of Christian moms,  and they do not want Ellen Degeneres as the spokeswoman for JCPenney because she is openly gay... and JCPenney caters to the "traditional family". One Million Moms would like customers to boycott shopping at JCPenney if they do not change their spokesman.

Hmmpff. 

Regardless of my views of gay marriage, I am with PunditMom when she says,
When I hear about efforts like those of a group called “One Million Moms” trying to take down a business and a celebrity because they want to “protect” their children from “non-traditional” families, the first thing I think is, “Isn’t life hard enough without hating families that don’t look like yours?” 
However, I would have replaced "hating" with "attacking". Even Bill O'Reilly called it a modern-day witch hunt.

OK, so what do you think about the One Million Moms initiative against JCPenney? Do you see value in such an effort, or do you think what they've done has hurt, more than helped, their cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment