Saturday, November 22, 2008

Five Stars




I cannot wait for the sequel... and the DVD-release, of course.




This morning at 9:00am, me and four other peeps headed to an early morning viewing of Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, which is a movie based on the book of the same name (first book in a four book series). I am not a huge movie fan, and I am certainly not qualified critic. But, this movie was just perfect.

The characters are so "on" with those in the book, and the love displayed between Bella and Edward seemed so real (Kristen Stewart knew exactly what she was doing when she picked out her Edward!). I don't find the value in critiquing how many of the book's details are found in the movie or not, or whether or not the movie stayed true to the book, which is apparently how many of the teenagers in the theatre with us were reviewing the movie.

Before the movie started, the library staff that sponsored this special showing shouted out some trivia questions about the book to those in attendance. It amazed me how many small details these teenagers knew about the book. That kind of fact retention is something I can never expect my middle-aged brain to be capable of ever again. Wow.

The movie did leave out many important details and facts that were shared in the book... so much so that it left me wanted to read the book again (and again) just to refresh my memory. What I definitely did remember was the feeling I got in my gut with each interaction of Bella and Edward.

It is that feeling you got when you were a teenager and "madly in love". That stomach-dropping feeling when you saw him or when he touched your shoulder. An innocent feeling of attraction to someone, yet you felt like you could not exist without him. Of course Edward is the epitome of the perfect male. He is strikingly handsome, well-spoken, highly educated, protective, fast, stong, chivalrous, and of course, he sparkles in the sunlight.

Loved, loved, loved it... for the simple love story that it is... a mere mortal falls in love with a vampire... and of course she wants to be one of THEM because they are all just so... perfect.

It pains me to know that I will have to wait a very long time for the DVD. So much so that I may need to go spend another ten dollars to see it again. And then maybe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment